Introduction to EBTC’s Club Account and Using Ride with GPS
- EBTC has a Club account. As a member, you can sign up for the free ‘starter’ RidewithGPS (RWGPS) account and have navigational features that others need to pay for. Your free account also gives you access to well-organized ‘Collections’ of EBTC routes for 2021 Club rides.
- Once you have signed up, you can use your free EBTC member account:
- on your computer or tablet at home to view EBTC club routes and help you choose which rides to register for. You can also print routes if you wish.
- on the app on your Apple or Android phone to view routes but, more importantly, to guide you when riding with the ‘Navigate feature’, which gives audible turn-by-turn instructions during a ride. The route map can also be seen on the phone screen if desired during your ride.
- The sections below give ‘basic’ information for EBTC members on how to sign up, view routes, navigate on your phone when riding, and print maps. There is also a section with links on how to use RWGPS with other navigational devices, e.g., Garmin.
- In addition, RidewithGPS.com has extensive information for new and experienced users. Here are a few links:
- Club Member Benefits https://youtu.be/hoUC8uaMGmM
- Club Routes on Mobile https://youtu.be/Q08tYDwrQC8
- General Help https://ridewithgps.com/help/
- Mobile Phone Help https://ridewithgps.com/help/mobile/
EBTC Publicity Coordinator, Don Marcotte, and Safety & Education Coordinator, Scott Keast, have produced a RWGPS tutorial video.
If you’ve never used Ride with GPS: Sign Up and Give it a Try!
How to Sign Up for an EBTC Member Account with RWGPS
- Use of a computer or tablet is the easiest way to create your account.
- Click on the link in the email you received from Karelo confirming your 2021 Membership Registration (this special link is for EBTC members only). If you need the link again, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sign up for a ‘starter’ account as your EBTC membership gives you advanced features others pay for with a premium account. Sign up requires an e-mail address and password.
- To have the above account on your Apple or Android phone, you will first need to install the RWGPS app from the Apple Apps Store or Google Play.
- Then sign in with the e-mail address and password you created on your computer or tablet. Do not create multiple accounts by using different e-mails and passwords on your computer or tablet and on your phone.
How to View EBTC RWGPS Routes
- You need an EBTC member account (see How to Sign Up above) to view the organized ‘Collections’ of 2021 EBTC rides. Once in ‘Collections’, you can click on and view the route that interests you before you register and before the ride starts. You can also print it from your computer or tablet (see How to Print Maps below).
- On your computer or tablet, you access ‘Collections’ by clicking on the rainbow EBTC logo button below on this webpage. RidewithGPS.com will open to a screen with a large EBTC trip picture and a button for ‘Collections’ of 2021 rides.
- Here is a tip: if you do not see ‘Collections’ or EBTC routes in ‘Collections’, always click on the rainbow EBTC logo on your screen to get back to it. (Comment: You may be looking at your personal Collections as RWGPS allows you to create your own personal collection of routes).
- Initially, you may need to ‘sign in’ with your RWGPS account e-mail and password. Later, if you use the same device and browser, you may not need to sign in (unless you actually ‘sign out’ of your RWGPS account).
- On your phone, start the RWGPS app, sign in with your e-mail address and password if necessary, and touch the EBTC logo. In the menu, select ‘Collections’ and then touch on the route you want to view.
- If you do not see the EBTC logo when using your RWGPS account, you may need to turn on your access to EBTC routes by clicking on the link in the email from Karelo confirming you 2021 Membership Registration. If you need the link again or assistance, e-mail email@example.com
How to Navigate with RWGPS on an Apple or Android Phone
- Navigation is feature where your phone will speak turn-by-turn instructions to you during your ride and show your progress on the screen using your phone’s GPS capabilities.
- You can ride with Navigate for your chosen route in two ways:
- on-line using your mobile data service – once you have selected your route in ‘Collections’, touch on the ride map image or name. You will see buttons to ‘Download’ and ‘Navigate’. At the start of the ride, choose ‘Navigate’.
- off-line by downloading your route to your phone (to avoid using mobile data, to save battery life or to ride where no mobile service exists). It is best to download at home with WiFi. Once you have selected your route in EBTC ‘Collections’, touch on the ride map image or name. You will see buttons to ‘Download’ and ‘Navigate’. Choose ‘Download’ to have the map put into your offline Library. At the ride start, select Library then Offline to find your downloaded routes. Touch the selected route and choose ‘Navigate’.
- Whether using ‘Navigate’ on-line or off-line, you will hear your first turn voice instruction to get you started on the first road. Before your next turn, you will hear a chime and next turn voice instruction.
- Click here to see more RWGPS tips to save battery life
- Riders generally don’t look at a map when riding as voice instructions are easier and safer. Click here for more voice-navigation help
How to Print Maps: for backup or if no Apple or Android Phone
- To print maps, you need a RWGPS account, and access to route ‘Collections’. The ‘How to’s’ for each of these are described above.
- Find your route of interest in EBTC’s ‘Collections’. Click on the route name or map picture to see all the information on the route. Above the route title, click ‘More’ for options, choose ‘Print PDF Maps and Cue Sheets’.
How to Use RWGPS on Other Navigational Devices
- Here is a general link: Click here for help with other GPS devices
- Here are a few other useful links:
- Garmin – connect your phone and (newer) Garmin Click Here for help connecting Garmin to a phone
- Garmin – without a phone Garmin Help
- Note: .TCX and .FIT formats give more info on Garmin but .GPX files work on other brands.
- Wahoo ELEMNT – access RWGPS routes on your phone from ELEMNT Wahoo elemnt Help
- Strava – automatically sync with RWGPS Help syncing to Strava
- Relive – Relive Help
Cyclemeter – download .TCX file as for Garmin and upload to Cyclemeter Link to Cyclemeter YouTube
Click on the EBTC logo in RideWithGPS, and you will find our current ride maps.